- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large apples (about 8 ounces each), halved and cored
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or)
- OR 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light tub margarine
Lightly spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Pour in the water. Add the apple halves with the cut side up.
In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients except the margarine. Spoon onto each apple half. Top each with 1 teaspoon margarine. Cook, covered, on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or on high for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until just tender. Be careful not to overcook; the apples will continue to cook while cooling.
Carefully transfer the apples to plates, leaving the sauce in the slow cooker. Stir the sauce. Spoon over the apples. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. The sauce will thicken slightly while cooling.
Read More on Heart.Org
Published on March 21, 2023