- 2 Hatch chilis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounce cavatappi
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup pork panko
- Preheat the Traeger grill to 450°F. Rub the hatch chilis with olive oil and roast for 15-20 minutes until blistered. Remove from the grill, place in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam while you prepare the remaining dish ingredients.
- Turn the smoker temp to 180°F and select high smoke. In a large cast iron skillet mix the half and half, 4 tablespoons of butter, cream cheese, hot sauce, dijon and black pepper. Smoke for 30 minutes.
- While the sauce smokes, cook the pasta to package instructions. Reserve about ¼ cup of pasta water and then drain the pasta and return it to the pot (do not rinse). Add the cheddar and mozzarella cheese to the hot pasta and toss.
- Remove the skin of the hatch chilis, seed and dice the roasted hatch chilis. Add them to the cheesy pasta and toss. Whisk the cast iron sauce and add the pasta directly to the cast iron. Toss to combine. Sprinkle the top of the mac and cheese with the pork panko. Close the lid of the Traeger and increase the temp to 350°F. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron from the Traeger and rest for 10 minutes before serving