- 8 slices whole-grain sourdough bread
- 4 Tbsp homemade or prepared pesto
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced (Fresh mozzarella is both tastier and lower in calories than regular mozz, but it’s also more expensive. Any shredded part-skim mozzarella will work as a solid substitution, but if you can, support a local farmers market and pick up some fresh.)
- 3⁄4 lb cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers
- Olive oil
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or stovetop grill pan over medium heat.
- Spread 4 pieces of the bread with 1 tablespoon of the pesto each.
- Layer each piece with equal amounts of the mozzarella slices, chicken, and red peppers.
- Add a light film of olive oil to the pan; when hot, cook the sandwiches (2 at a time, if necessary) until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes each side. (For the best results, use a heavy pan to weigh down the sandwiches.)
Read More on Eat This, Not That
Published on January 10, 2023