Cooking up chicken parmesan in the Instant Pot® will make your chicken breast cutlets juicy and tender, and there’s just one pot to clean. And it doesn’t require a lot of added fat to boot. Serve the chicken with whole-grain pasta, zucchini noodles, or steamed vegetables if you like.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion,
- chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 4 slices low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella
- 6 basil leaves, cut into strips
- Turn the Instant Pot® to the low sauté setting (see Cook’s Note). Add the oil and heat until it is shimmering but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper then turn the pot off.
- Season the chicken cutlets on both sides with the Italian seasoning, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper and nestle them into the sauce, overlapping just slightly if needed. Follow the manufacturer’s guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set to pressure cook, on high, for 2 minutes.
- After the pressure cook cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s guide for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete. Careful of any remaining steam, unlock and remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot® off.
- Use tongs to reposition the chicken on top of the sauce if they have sunk. Sprinkle the tops of each cutlet with the Parmesan then place the mozzarella on top, tearing the cheese in half if needed to better cover the chicken. Place the lid back on and let sit until the cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spoon the chicken and sauce onto a plate or platter and garnish with the basil.
Settings may vary on your Instant Pot depending on the model. Please refer to the manufacturer’s guide.